These lessons are based on the book, Leadership Lessons From Star Trek The Next Generation, Wess Roberts PD. D and Bill Ross. This lesson is about the importance of competence and how when it is fostered in your team members it becomes a ‘force multiplier’.
This is more so in MLM and network marketing where the quicker you can get each team member to be competent the more money you and they make.
The mistake so many Sponsors make is to recruit, recruit, recruit without stopping to ensure each person they have brought into their opportunity is competent. Just because you picked things up quickly does not mean they will do the same. I am not saying you have to personally train them but you should know enough about them to be able to point them to a personal development resource that will develop their weaknesses.
So what are the Leadership lessons related to competence?
- Despite the level of technical knowledge you may have on a subject it is only through illustration of that knowledge and the confirmation of experience it becomes wisdom.
- Leaders need to broaden their knowledge through the knowledge of others. They also need to complete their experience through experience with others.
- It is impossible to master any skill at once. Only by patiently struggling with it will you eventually master it.
- One Leader may have the best systems and tools on the market but if they cannot use them competently then they less effective than a Leader with a far worse system.
- It is possible to become very learned in the actual area you are operating in, but unless you can put that learning to use in your business it is of no use to the team.
- Good Leaders do not passively experience things. They learn from each experience, reflect on it and consciously examine it for lessons it may have for them.
- The greatest power a Leader has is the level to which they know their work.
- Leaders who can adapt easily to varying situations and demands will be more effective than those who simply imitate.
- One of the best ways of helping team members become competent is to spot and correct serious errors before they become that person’s habits. Habit’s are much harder to change.
NEW RULE OF MONEY NO. 7 – FOCUS MORE ON SELLING THAN BUYING
This is the seventh of an eight part series discussing Robert Kiyosaki’s new online collaborative work soon to be published book, The Conspiracy of The Rich.
This post discusses his new rule of money no. 7 – focus more on selling than buying . He explains the reason so many people are in financial difficulties is because they love to buy and hate to sell. He says if you wish to become rich then you have to learn to sell more than you buy. By this he does not mean living below you means, i.e. reducing your outgoings below your income, but actually deciding to become an entrepreneur and sell something.
As long as you remain an employee you are a the vagaries of decisions made by your employer. If you own your own business then you are your own boss and you can recruit like-minded entrepreneurs who also have the desire to succeed.
There are two things needed to succeed in business – an absolute belief in yourself which you can get through training, personal development and a mentor (all of which I have and have paid for to get in other words I invested in ME Inc.).
The second thing you need is perseverance – as Mike Yarnell says in his best seller on Network Marketing – Your First Year In Network Marketing. ‘each no you receive brings you closer to the first yes’. Og Mandino says something very similar in, The Greatest Salesman in the World . ‘I will bend the law of averages in my favor knowing that each no I receive will bring me closer to the next sale’.
Bob Proctor, famous from the film The Secret says this about Network Marketing, it’s the only business someone with no qualifications or experience can join, be mentored and then earn more than a Heart Surgeon